Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BE INSPIRED WITH ADEPERO ODUYE

As a Nigerian, I cling to things and people that make me believe; people that inspire my adrenalin pump.

There is Sophie Okenedo,
Sade Adu,
Chiwentel Ejiofor
and now I have Adepero Oduye on that list! As 2012 approaches and we get that resolutions fever, I believe we need all the inspiration we can get and move forward with our lives….Never giving up no matter what.
I like this lady really…and her story inspires me especially what she said about life and her role in Pariah; a movie directed by Dee Rees, as Alike, the 17 year old who is desperately trying to be herself and yet not disappoint her traditional and devout parents.

Adepero Oduye is a 33year old Nigerian Brooklynite. She lost her dad at 19 and had to find a way to survive with all 7 children. As a pre-med student at Cornell University, she realised she did not want to be a doctor. To this she says:

“Life is short. If you know what you want to do, you have to at least try”

Adepero has found affinity for Alike’s (the character she played) struggle to unmask herself. It reminded her of the time many years ago when she was hired as an improve actor for a teen job programme at the Centre for Family Life in Brooklyn. That experience opened her eyes to the belief that she could truly express herself through acting. To his she said:

“I identified with that feeling of not feeling free. You know there is a person deep down inside of you that is beautiful but is covered with all this stuff. You know you want to uncover all that stuff and be the person you are meant to be”.

Pariah premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. She did a good job but reading her quotes and comments is inspiring and it shows the human ability to succeed against the odds.

“It been challenging but at the end of the day it has made me who I am and I like the actor I am today. The journey has made it clear what kind of work I want to do and what kind of people I want to be with. I want to tell authentic real stories with real characters".
 You Go Girl!!









No comments:

Post a Comment